Sunday 28 December 2014

FIVE DAYS OF GRATITUDE

Day 2

Hi folks. I trust we’ve had a wonderful day so far. For those of us who have not had too good a day, please cheer up.
Whatever it is will pass. It’s the last Sunday of the year, and I may not know your story, but one thing I know : there’s a lot to be grateful to God for.

52 Sundays.

And you saw the very last one.

Nyanya and Chibok folks can’t tell the same story.

Today I will continue with my Five days of gratitude. Today is day Two, and I want to appreciate the new families I made in this year. Families for me are not formed by blood, they are formed by love, care and affection. I found new families this year, people I can stay among and call my own; some of them I call families because at one point or the other during my numerous travels in the course of the year, they took me in, others I call families because indeed, we have formed something of a niche, a small home away from home.

In January, I embarked on a trip I didn’t know I would eventually make. Writivism had admitted me as a participant for their writing workshop in Abuja. Going all the way to Abuja for me was a major task. Eventually, I braved it and for about two nights I stayed at my Uncle’s. My dad’s brother.

One sentence. I never knew my cousins were so fantastic.

It was the first time I was meeting them in person and it was like I had been missing this ‘cousinly’ love all the while.

Apart from the fact that their place was cool, with DSTV and good power supply, I felt completely at home. Yes, I am grateful for this family. Baba Esther and Mummy Esther, I am grateful for you.

Sometime around the middle of the year, I took my first trip to Lagos this year. It was for the annual ENACTUS national competition. It was among these folks that I saw love being displayed outside church and family. The ENACTUS family, I must say is truly different. ENACTUS UNILAG accommodated us throughout the event as well as helped with transporting our ENACTUS team to and fro the venue. A few days after, I moved over to my Uncle’s place to spend a few days. There, I felt like I was family. I blended easily into the family of three, though my bonding time was short-lived. I am indeed grateful for Bro Nnaemeka and his wife, and her sister and brother.


In July, I was in Ibadan for the SFL Conference. For two nights, I stayed at the house of my friend and roommate (we call him yellow head). His parents and siblings looked well to my welfare. The meals were very filling and the bed was comfy. It wasn’t anything gargantuan or resplendent, but it was cosy with love and affection (yes, and their dog too). I am grateful for the Onowugbedas. My prayers go out to them.


This year, I met a new family. They are not like the ones I’ve listed above that accommodated me on a trip, no. Yes I had always been part of them, but this year, they accepted me as their leader. I became the head of the Moot and Mock Team of my University in April. I remember crying on the day my appointment was announced. I was overwhelmed. It was too much getting to lead these great minds. But I must say I have loved it every step of the way so far. This family has been explosive; they’ve been awesome. I’m grateful to God for them. I can’t begin to mention names, but these guys are IT.

I am also grateful for the TEDxIfe family, the Creative Writers’ Niche family with whom I scaled new heights this year,  CLASFON resource team family, and of course CASOR OAU. I will still speak of CASOR OAU again and Pastor Dami. That has been one indispensable family. These families could keep me up working at night, make me stay back in school during the holidays, and make me make daring sacrifices.


Yes, that’s what family does.


Thank You God for my new found families. I am grateful.


Tomorrow, I will appreciate the third set of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something