Saturday 27 December 2014

FIVE DAYS OF GRATITUDE

Day 1

Contrary to the clichéd ‘Just like yesterday, the year is already over’, this year for me moved like a snail. Sometimes I ask myself whether some things that happened this year actually happened this year or happened last year. Maybe it’s because a lot happened this year. So much.


This year would be one year I wouldn’t forget so easily. One doesn’t forget a unique set of 365 days so fast. This year, so much changed for me. In some ways, I became me; it was like bringing out the gizzard of a chicken, like fishing for the plug in an overflowing sink. In some ways I can’t explain, but somehow, I found myself and yes, people contributed in many ways to that.

For five days (starting today), I will be expressing my gratitude to five sets of people who formed part of my narrative in the year. I hope that in these five groups, I will be able to touch every person I am supposed to.

Today, I will like to appreciate those I came in contact with this year. This may sound old fashioned , but I refer to them as my ‘covenant relationships’. Some of these people I had never met before, others I had merely seen, passed by, said hi to in the past. Whichever way, I am grateful for these people.

The truth is, I cannot remember them all, and I cannot remember all their names.

I met a number of them at Tolerance Academy, that held early this year at Ode-omu, a rustic settlement in Osun State. For a start, I am grateful I met Obajeun, the curator of Tolerance Academy, Precious, Yusuf, Jennifer Aduro, Rahman, Ridwan, Sekinat, Nzere Jeremiah, Ola and Natasha, whom I had already known, but got an opportunity to know better, among many others who I can’t mention here. I am grateful I met you. For some, we didn’t speak so much after the Academy, for others that was the beginning of a lifelong relationship.

ENACTUS national conference at KWASU and the ENACTUS national competition gave me even more opportunities to meet more people. ENACTUS made me meet Kay, our amiable team leader at OAU. I met Dolapo, head of ENACTUS EKSU, Leke, Mrs Adesuwa, Mr Micheal, Ebuka and many other great people. Being at ENACTUS events were one of my most fulfilling moments. I am grateful.


At the National Orientation Agency Awards in Abuja sometime in May, I met another set of well-meaning Nigerian Youths including Ezinne Goodness, Jonathan Emmanuel who apparently I had met earlier at Unilorin, Adeola, Ugoh Wilson, Udofia, with his ever plastered warm smile, Chijindu Umunakwe who has remained a motivation to me nand the young bud who beat all of us to the first prize Samuel Edet. Yes it was fun. And I am grateful.

Campus life workshop this year even meant more than it had in any other year for me. I met Sarat (so much to say that I don’t know where to start), I met Titilope, Jennifer, Olasupo and a couple of other people I had met before.

TEDxIfe made me meet people who taught me the true meaning of hardwork and deadlines; Emmanuel Adegboye, Nonso, Nnanna, Doni, Nike. For Iduma and Innocent, it was good meeting them again after a long time.

I met Ayo this year too, my next-door neighbor and my very good friend. I am grateful I met her.

I met Uche and Daniel, people who were so humble to allow me be their friends, advising and guiding them every step of the way.

I met Theodora Olumekor and Ayotola Tehingbola, classmates of mine who were merely passing figures before now.

These are the names that come quickly to mind. I have met many people through the year indeed.

And I am grateful to God for meeting you, I am grateful to you too for meeting you.

Tomorrow, I have more people to be grateful for.


2 comments:

  1. Awwwww...You came through for me this year Caleb :) I am grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Ola. I appreciate. I am grateful too.

    ReplyDelete

Say something