Tuesday 4 November 2014

TEDxIfe: FINDING MY X'ES

Hey guys.

Uhmm...you must have been seeing a couple of posts about TEDxIfe on my Facebook timeline recently. Well, apparently, I am involved with this year's TEDxIfe event, and I am glad to be. I am the
official blogger for the event. But that is not what thrills me.

What thrills me is the theme 'Solving X'

Well, ever since I came on the TEDxIfe team and came to understand 'Solving X' to mean solving life's x-like complexities, I began to see a lot around me as an x. Once I told a story about a battle with soldier ants and how for me it was a time to solve x.

I wish everyone I know can be at TEDxIfe this year. The first TEDxIfe event for this year which was the live stream of TEDGlobal as well as an opportunity to listen to 5 student speakers who are doers and thinkers within our own small community, was very explosive. The event sparked a discussion around ideas that had not been the concern of students  before now.

In the past few months, I have had my ups and downs, I have seen things I want to solve, I have asked questions I was afraid to ask before, and I have found answers to some, I am still finding answers to others.

What are your x'es? And why are you afraid of them? That is the question.

I just finished my environmental law class a few minutes ago. Today we discussed liquid and domestic waste and we looked at everything surrounding us, from bad and unavailable toilet facilities to poorly disposed waste, to a toxic environment, and it occured to me that there was an x for me to solve there.

The easiest thing to do though, is blame the government, blame corruption, walk away sipping coke (or whatever it is you sip). It is bad, and we don't fix it, but we have many suggestions and ways it could be fixed. The answers are within us, but the answers are too scary; too risky.

Just a food for thought for today. Enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something