Sunday 30 November 2014

AYO

Ayo

Ayo is real for me, yet in some ways metaphorical. Allow me to explain.


On my birthday (November 7), I hoped to get a cake. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy one or have one done for me. Eventually I gave up. I was going to buy one- at least for a small celebration with friends.

At 12:00am, I heard a knock. It was Ayo, my next door neigbour. With a cake. Blue cake. With my name on it.

Ayo has formed my story in major ways since then. Ayo is a bundle of stories. And yes, lest I forget, Ayo is female.

Ayo reminds me of a short story I wrote a while back titled 'Bits and Pieces'. There, the young lad who was later killed by his father told his newfound friend 'Ayo has left our house'. His friend who was not Yoruba thought he meant a person. He meant joy.

I know I will still blog about Ayo, yet for now this is all I will say. She is one of the people that came late in my 21 year-tale, but I am hopeful. I am hopeful she will stay.

I do not know what it will all turn out as in the end, but I hope she will stay. I hope joy will stay.

I want to be woken up by a knock on November 7 next year, and hear joy knocking at the door, announcing greatness. I want joy to knock at my door everyday.

But I want Ayo to stay. She's a great person. It's beyond the cake, but I'm not sure you'll understand.

I hope you do though.

And like I said, I don't know what it is. Que sera sera.

Yes, I forgot to tell you. Ayo in Yoruba means Joy in English.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something