Saturday 24 August 2013

IF YOU EVER RETURN




How soothing you said it, how convincing
That you would only be a moment, that you’ll be right back
As your hands slipped out of mine and your smile so sublime
I had tried to keep you
But you left so swiftly, never looking back

I stood there in the deadening night’s claws
On the curb
As I watched you go, your back mocking my loneliness
Winter’s cold slapped across my face vengefully
On the curb
As I wondered if this was the case of the Prodigal son or Lot’s wife

Soon, I couldn’t see you anymore
So I took solace in the prints from your snowboots
Gazing intensely at their silhouette
As though in them I would find solace for sure

Its been two years I have been standing here now
Winter has passed and now summer is here
The sun has now gone down
And the leaves are rustling, alluring, seeking to comfort
But I cannot be comforted
The ticks perch my nostrils, asking unsounding questions
The owls hoot in my ears like jackals mocking my long wait
And I said a sullen prayer that you would be like the prodigal son
That you would at least return

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something